Thursday 8 July 2021

Reflections

This is not my usual email, not at all sailing related. Today is a tragic anniversary in our family and so I wanted to share my memories and loss with those who may be willing to read them. I must admit that I have discovered sending these updates at sea leaves me feeling very vulnerable so sending this today did not come easy, but the loss of Madeline is too significant to pass unnoticed.


Two years ago my family was changed forever overnight. Two years ago my brother lost his eldest child; my niece and nephew lost their sister; my mom lost her first grandchild; my girls lost their cousin; and I lost my niece. Madeline, your 17 years were far too short. You lived a beautiful life that was full of enthusiasm and energy that immediately lit up a room.

I will be forever grateful for your visit four years ago aboard Maple in Martinique. Your willingness to play with your young cousins. Teaching them ballet on the beach. Playing countless games with them. Constantly braiding their hair. Your willingness to jump in and try new things. Seeing your eyes sparkle as your snorkelled for the first time. Your unbridled awe at the size of the massive Caribbean avocados. Your shrieks of laughter when we unwittingly discovered those spider-like crabs in the mangroves. Your natural ability at driving the dinghy at your first try. Your smile and laughter was always uninhibited and contagious.

Never imagined as I hugged you goodbye when you left to fly home that it would be the last time. What I wouldn't give to have you still here with us. Your death left a huge void in our family, but your spark and tenacity for living your life fully will forever inspire me. Sending my family my love today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment