Monday 12 July 2021

Glassy Seas

Time: 2021/07/13 03:02:45
Latitude: 39-5.64N
Longitude: 173-54.90W
COG: 034T
Speed: 4.8kt
Winds: 5kt from ESE

Comment: We had great sailing yesterday evening, closehauled but with less than 1M seas made for the most comfortable upwind sailing we've done in the last 6 years. Winds died off at about 1AM, we've been motorsailing through the edge of the high pressure since then. The seas died off as well so now we have just a gentle swell from the E as we putter along. Wind should pick up again sometime tomorrow and allow us to sail again. The good news is we've stopped heading W and are now heading NE almost on a direct course for Kodiak. The direct course will change, depending on weather, but it's nice to be going in the right direction. 1300 miles to go give or take - should be there before the end of the month.


Wait?! What?! "Should be there before the end of the month"!!!! We better be there before the end of the month. I was reflecting today about how we left Tahiti on May 18, that is just shy of two months ago. That feels like a lifetime ago since I was sobbing as we bid farewell to Tahiti. Am I ever grateful for the convenient location of Hawaii as it really was the best respite I could have asked for to break up this trip. Today was the most relaxed at sea since leaving Tahiti. The sea is outragelously calm. It blows my mind that we are in the middle of the ocean and there is only the slightest, most gentle swell. Sure, the constant noise of the engine is not the most pleasant of background sounds, but for us to finally have a day where we are not constantly bracing ourselves while trying to do anything, even sitting, was pure bliss. To prepare dinner without having to figure out exactly what part of the counter to rest my hip that will brace me well enough to avoid getting pitched forward at random intervals in an attempt to prevent an accidental lose of a finger was such a highlight for me today. I even felt like cleaning....I know, when does that happen spontaneously for me!!! It was a good day. Hopefully the winds do eventually fill in a little so we can get back to the sailing, but I am grateful for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment