Friday 16 July 2021

Fog, fog, go away...

Time: 2021/07/17 03:43:37
Latitude: 44-46.63N
Longitude: 167-25.01E
Speed: 3.6
Course: 73T
Wind_Speed: 7
Wind_Dir: NNE
Air_Temp: 16C
Wave_Ht: .5M
Wave_Dir: NNE
Comment: Slow progress today. Dropped the spinnaker around midnight as wind was decreasing, Motored through the night. Between midnight and 6AM the wind shifted around from the SW to the NE slowing progress, in addition we are fighting a slight current from the N. Winds should turn again to the S sometime overnight or early tomorrow we hope but will be light still for a few days, we may be able to fly the spinnaker again, otherwise we will motorsail until wind strength allows decent progress. Plenty of fuel on board for now, though we'd like to not burn it all. Tired of not having favourable winds and ready to be there...9-10 days to go...


Well here we are still in this grey fog, still no sunshine in sight. Would be nice to see the sky again. The silver lining is the rain stopped!! Since the engine is back on, it means we have hot water again and so that means shower day!!! The girls and I were very excited to have hot showers. D is apparently going for the crusty, salty sailor feel. We have figured out a solution for Ella's solid state monoi oil conundrum. We put the bottle on the floor of the shower and Ella showers last. By shower number three, her oil was suitably liquid again for her use. I know you were all most concerned about how Ella would manage this crisis, so figured I would update you all.

During the day, with the body heat of four of us in the salon and occasional use of the stove and oven, the temperature inside is pleasant, even a little too warm at times. The baking of the bread first thing in the morning did the trick with taking the chill off for when the girls woke up this morning. So we are all set for a repeat loaf tomorrow morning. But during my night watch from 12am to 4am, I am FREEZING!! I tried that gel fuel thing and it was useless unless my hands were immediately above it and warming my hands over an open flame doesn't super excite me. D bought two boxes of those air activated "HotHands" hand warmers. They do work well and I get that they are meant for my hands in my pockets or inside my gloves, but do they make blankets that use the same chemistry?! I would really like one of those please shipped to: SV Maple - Middle of the North Pacific. D also bought hot water bottles and the girls are loving those! The girls are now sharing Ella's cabin and they throw their hot water bottles into their bed before they go down so that was a good buy. You see, we did anticipate it getting cold and have found some small ways to manage, but I tell you, I am really looking forward to the day we have an actual heater installed!!

D mentioned that we dropped the spinnaker last night, but he failed to mention that he was attacked by a bird!! I know...what is with us and birds?! He figures he disrupted it resting somewhere on the spreaders of the mast or something. Anyway, down it came and fluttered right in his face. From the helm, I could not see the bird just hear D hollering and see him throwing his arms around. It was quite humourous from a safe distance. The bird came to a disoriented stop on the trampoline before it recovered its senses and flew off. Speaking of birds, for about a week now, we have had an albatross that comes and swoops past us every once in awhile. It is such a huge, beautiful bird!! To clarify, it was a much smaller bird that startled D. Who says nothing fun happens out in the middle of the ocean.

The curse of the NE wind continues to haunt me!! We had hoped to achieve a new milestone on Maple today but with the wind not cooperating it means having to put off that achievement for another day. I know all of you are on pins and needles wanting to know what I am talking about, but you will just have to wait for a future installment to our "Endless Passage to Alaska" Saga. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment