Sunday 30 May 2021

Let's go swimming

TIME: 2021/05/30 03:32
LATITUDE: 02-41.87N
LONGITUDE: 152-03.18W
NEXT WAYPOINT: 05N-152W
COURSE (COG): 348T
BOAT SPEED (SOG): 3.1 kn
WIND SPEED (AWS): 13 kn
WIND ANGLE (AWA): 80 degrees
SEA STATE: 0.5m E Swell, confused and choppy

How spoiled are we?! One day we have showers and the next day we have a chance to go swimming. Nothing like swimming with 4000m of water below you. The wind died out yesterday afternoon, there was still perhaps around a 0.5m swell so the boat was rocking around a bit, but we dropped the sails and threw a line in for everyone to hold onto. The girls felt we had to take this opportunity as we just don't know if it was our last chance and eventually we will be in water too cold to enjoy.

The first time we swam on a passage was back in the Med when sailing from Greece to Malta. I remember how it was glassy calm with no wind and for some reason we felt compelled to jump in. Since then we always are looking for the opportunity. Unfortunately we did not have the chance on the Atlantic crossing as the wind and seas never cooperated for us. But we were able to swim a couple of times between Panama and Galapagos. Once at the equator for our initiation ceremony as Shellbacks. Then again to clean the bottom of the boat before entering Galapagos.

The girls are already daring each other to jump into the water when we eventually arrive in Alaska. Who knows, perhaps they will come to enjoy being cold water swimmers in the end. I can assure you, this member of the crew, will not. We still have a long way to go before we reach Alaska so who knows, maybe we will have another opportunity for a swim.

Last night was one of those nights where we just had one squall after another, but Maple was well trimmed with her usual three reefs in the main and two and at times three reefs in the head sail. Still would fly along at upwards of 7 knots downwind. I drew the lucky shift with the squall which brought an absolute torrential downpour to accompany the strong winds. But I was a cosy girl in my foul weather gear, especially since I have now had to break out the thermal underwear at night.

About my foul weather gear, I have had to really piece it together. Just days before leaving Tahiti, I discovered the hard way my jacket was very much no longer waterproof...not one bit of it. Fortunately we recently acquired the girls used gear from another kid boat and by a stroke of luck I can squeeze into Ella's jacket despite being a junior size. Now let's be clear, the sleeves are too short and it very much does not come close to fitting over my hips, but hey, it is better than the alternative...nothing!!! This same boat also generously gave me rubber boots. So I figured, brilliant, I am all set. However, with the last two wears of my foul weather pants, I have discovered the seams all leak and so as such do not keep me dry. However, they do keep me warm by wearing thermals underneath even though everything gets soaked. So I will say I am feeling slightly under-prepared for colder weather sailing...perhaps this is the year Alaska will have an unseasonably warm and dry summer. ;)

As for our current conditions, we are enjoying sunny skies. We are still trying to go slow so have now had to drop the main sail entirely. We have just a small scrap of a headsail out and we are stilling sailing between 3 and 4 knots. The seas are small but choppy. Any day the rain gives us a break is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment