Thursday 20 May 2021

A kinder second day

TIME: 2021/05/21 03:23
LATITUDE: 13-32.64S
LONGITUDE: 150-09.40W
COURSE: 006T
SPEED: 4.2



I loved hearing from so many of you, thank you for sending all your good wishes. I love hearing news from you and what you are all up to. Thank you! I would love to send individual replies to everyone but for now, I am sticking with the less personal group email.

Like so many of you predicted, day two was much kinder. The morning started off very wet. D's favourite line whenever there is a squall on the horizon is "It is going to miss us!". Well the squall this morning did not miss us and on top of that timed itself perfectly for D's nap. However, I fully appreciated as I sat at the helm sopping wet in just shorts and a windbreaker that I better enjoy this while it lasts. I imagine in a couple thousand miles when a squall is approaching, regardless of D's hopeful predictions, I will need to be racing to get my foul weather gear on to avoid hypothermia. After the slowest moving squall ever eventually past, the sun came out, the seas calmed and the wind came to a more respectable level. We have just enjoyed the more settled conditions that we haven't even bothered to shake a reef or two out of the main. Clearly you can tell neither of us are racers at heart and so we have just bobbed along at 4 knots and enjoyed the day.

To answer some of you who asked whether we were fishing yet, the answer is no. Again just further confirming we are the world's laziest cruisers. As Iris said as we set out on this passage, "I wish Jeff was with us. He would catch us some fish in no time." Jeff and Sandra are cruiser friends who joined us on the Atlantic crossing. And what can I say, they made that crossing the amazing passage it was with Jeff polishing stainless and reeling in the fish, while Sandra was the far better cook than me and patiently sat with Iris teaching her to read and with Ella teaching her to knit. I am sure one of these days, we will eventually cast out a lure but for now we are still just trying to get into a routine. After all we have plenty of time for fishing between now and arrival. What I am craving for most is the best fish on the planet...the Pacific Salmon!!! However, I suppose I could suffer through another tuna or mahi until we get further north.

We still are able to reach a rock solid shore station out of NZ which means we have excellent download speeds...not taking 5G or anything but still a respectable speed for an old school radio, so please keep those replies coming!! Those who already replied were all so awesome in starting a new email, thank you so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment