Sunday 13 June 2021

Fun never ends....

So funny story...just after I sent the last group message "Two More Sleeps...hopefully" our primary boat computer died. This is the computer that we normally connect to the radio to send these emails. This computer is the only piece of technology that was still original to when we moved onto the boat. So it really had a good run because lets face it, electronics on boats don't last long. And yes, for those who are paying attention it is that computer that crashed to the floor and cracked its screen on basically day one of this passage. So the fact that it kept on trucking for an additional three weeks I suppose is miraculous. However, I am grumpy about it because I am tired of broken s*&t during this passage!!

Anyway, there is some good news. We were smart enough to put the program needed to connect to the radio onto a different computer so we have a backup...because if the lesson has not been learned on this passage for everyone...you should have a backup and probably should have a backup to the backup. I laughed once when I learned of a boat that had a spare rudder on board...who carries a spare rudder?! Well in light of this passage for us, I was very much wrong to laugh, yup, we should have a spare rudder...why not two while we are at it! Anyway, I am off track. Back to the computer issue. So yes, we have the ability to still connect to the radio, whew! What I don't have are any email addresses that were added more recently than when the program was placed on this backup computer. Confused?! It is okay, basically if you have received this email then you are the lucky ones (well perhaps that can be debated depending on whether you have thoroughly lost interest in receiving these emails and have been muttering to yourselves for days "Aren't they there yet?"). And if you have not received it, well, you have no clue and will blissfully no longer be receiving emails from us. However, if for some reason you realize that you have been dumped from this group email, feel free to email me a message as it will still come through to me and I will get you back on here.

On a separate note, it was also shortly after that last message I sent, D broke my heart by saying that it might in fact be three more sleeps before we arrive. The wind has picked up and of course is right on the nose for us so it means we are now only averaging 2kt of boat speed. Sigh. Are we there yet?!...

No comments:

Post a Comment